EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Polls / With or Without Reflections

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion next >> 
Posted By Poll Topic: With or Without Reflections

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

louissto56
04-30-2008 @ 7:44 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Question:
Well bloody greg HAS to object to my new design consisting of a reflection underneath the search bar. So he suggested making a poll to see what people prefer

Here are the screenshots...

With:

Without:

What do you think?
Louis

1. With Reflection
2. Without Reflection

gmilby
04-30-2008 @ 7:49 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

somebody tell this toddler that business websites are supposed to be less fluff!
(LMBFBO!)

Success is the ablity to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
-Sir Winston Churchill

kicker
04-30-2008 @ 2:03 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Personally I like reflections if done correctly. That said you have not done that correctly. Take the reflection and add another 100 px to it and actually show the entire yellow bar you are trying to reflect. Then create the textboxes and radio and buttons to look exactly like the top bar only upside down. (Including text).

Then take a skew tool and only skew it 5 degrees. to the right. I say to the right because of the light you are shining on the the top one is slightly to the right. It's the direction it would naturally take from the current point of view which is head on.

Also fade your image using a white box with feathered edges. Something like the spray paint tool. Take the white box and set it to about 65 for the alpha. Then slowly move it over the upside down bar till you receive the desired effect. This part takes some trial and error. You don't want to completely fade out the entire bar, but you want the top to be more visible than the bottom. I'll post an example in a few so you can see.

Craig

kicker
04-30-2008 @ 2:19 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Craig

dlackey
04-30-2008 @ 3:55 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I cant exactly vote; with the widescreen monitors that are showing up these days, proper ussage of white space is paramount.  While I do like the reflection such as kicker has shown but not at the cost of waisting space.

Cheers,
Chip

This message was edited by dlackey on 4-30-08 @ 3:55 PM

kicker
04-30-2008 @ 3:58 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!