EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Work Showcase! / CF Protection 1.0!

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: CF Protection 1.0!

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

JJfutbol
11-30-2005 @ 9:27 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

This is something brand new I had developed for someone here on easycfm as a new CF user had requested it. I apologize I do not remember his name but hopefully he will catch this topic and post here to introduce himself. Wink  In the meantime I'll see if I can find the original topic where this came to be.

CF Protection consists of a simple function in the application.cfm that is very flexible and reusable. Its goal is to test for any type of SQL or hack attempt. You simply pass it a parameter and it will test to see if its a structure (form, URL, custom, etc.), an array or a single variable.

...For those of you anxious and don't want to read this post (as I later realized I talk to much Frown ) then here is a demo. Enjoy!
http://www.javier-julio.com/test/protection/

Once it knows what variable type its dealing with it will test the value of that variable against a special regular expression to make sure there is no malicious code (also known as Cross Site Scripting). The user asked for this to run on every request, thus I have the function in application.cfm and also being called there as well. You can place it and use it anywhere you please, it does not have to be there.

If there is malicious code found the function returns a boolean value of true. What I have it do currently is pass both the URL and Form structure and if malicious code is spotted it will redirect the user to error.cfm with a friendly message (also lets you know if the RE is working properly) but mainly the redirection was done so that no Replace function would be needed. That way the URL and Form structure is cleared by sending the user to a new page.

For those of you who want a sample of how easy it is to use this function here is how I call it in the application.cfm file:

<!--- Test to make sure data is not any type of malicious code (XSS, Injection, Hack) --->
<cfif isHackAttempt(URL) EQ True OR isHackAttempt(Form) EQ True>
     <cflocation url="error.cfm" addtoken="no">
</cfif>

You can easily pass just a single variable if you please to isHackAttempt so you can use it in form validation, although I have a function (isXSS) that does the same if not more for you in my CFC Validator. Please let me know of any questions or suggestions you have. I'm always looking to improve my work so you all can use it as you like. Smile  Enjoy!

Try out the online demo:
http://www.javier-julio.com/test/protection/

----------------------------------------------------
Need FREE CF applications?? Then my site has it all, http://www.javier-julio.com/development/coldfusion/downloads/ In time I will be including many more free CF apps and ASP ones as well. Currently working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict. It will be open source and available to all.

jfill
01-09-2006 @ 1:16 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!