EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / General Discussion / blond code moments

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: blond code moments -- page: 1 2 3

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Lossed
04-03-2007 @ 5:13 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

We all have 'em, don't we? Please tell me I'm not alone in continually making either the same, basic coding or simply retarded errors.

Some of mine are:

1. using == in cfml and = in js.
2. using = instead of eq
3. I used cflocation after an update query but inside a transaction tag and it took me ages to figure out why the query wasn't updating. Like...duh...

What are your brain-dead coding erros most likely to be?

Lossed
---------------------------
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail Smile
-----------------------------

kicker
04-03-2007 @ 5:50 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Your not alone. Here are mine

using EQ/NEQ/GT/LT in actionscript and == != > < in cfif statements.

using .text in cfset statements (used in actionscript)

Using # in actionscript

writing out an if or switch statement and forget to surround in in <cfscript> tags

Writing a cfc and forgetting to pass the arguments to it or passing the wrong variables(I usually end up looking at my cfc for hours trying to figure out what is wrong)

Probably my biggest and most common brain dead thing I do is I will write script out and have all these variables in play and forget to set them or omit them from what I want to do. Frown

So now that I am mortified with my blunders I will go.  Playful

Craig
Clearcg.com

louissto56
04-03-2007 @ 9:15 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Mine are:

EQ and =. I always forget that in an IF you need EQ and in SET you need =.

Forgetting to put double hashes in hex codes in a cfoutput. e.g. <cfoutput>bgcolor=#FFFFFF</cfoutput>

I bet there are thousands of others. lol

Louis

Notice-Board in NZ has now been released. Check it out at www.notice-board.co.nz!!

Lossed
04-05-2007 @ 9:17 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hello everyone.
My name is Lossed and I'm a recovering stupidCode-aholic.
It's been two hours since my last blond code moment/s.
That being forgetting to close the if() statements in cfscript when i have a function inside them: eg: if(len(){}. I do that all the time Frown

Lossed
---------------------------
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail Smile
-----------------------------

louissto56
04-05-2007 @ 11:25 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hi Lossed. I'm Louis and I too just made another blonde code moment. I was stuck for hours wondering why <cfif IsDefined('Form.submit')> wasn't working when hours later I realised my form button was called "Submit2" Frown

Louis

Notice-Board in NZ has now been released. Check it out at www.notice-board.co.nz !!

GrowlyBear
04-06-2007 @ 12:16 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!