EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / General Discussion / Scorpio

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Scorpio -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Webmaster
12-07-2006 @ 5:16 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

Dont you know that eventualyl we wont need computers? We will be walking PCs... Call me Neo.. Blah!

Pablo Varando
Senior Application Architect
EasyCFM.COM, LLC.

904.483.1457 \\ mobile
webmaster@easycfm.com \\email

GrowlyBear
12-07-2006 @ 10:21 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I love this logic.
First: We have PCs.

Next: They add bells and whistles

Then: WE can network the PCs

Next: Funky networked apps

Then: The emergence of the Internet

Next: They add bells and whistles

Then: WE can network the PCs across the Internet

Next: Funky Internet apps

Now: Build apps using all the previous stuff to
....wait for it....
Put it back on the PC desktop.

Does the term Bloatware come to mind?

On a side note JJ the books you mentioned each cost more than 1 gig of Micro MMC memory. Sheesh SGD$100 plus (including tax)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CF Blogger
http://www.cfblogger.com

kicker
12-06-2006 @ 7:08 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

lol I should have kept mine of course my dad used more than I ever was allowed to. It's ok I whooped him in Mario. He couldn't get over the no joystick factor.

Craig

PS I agree with you on that, we need to come to some census as to what will define the web of tomorrow and implement it as such and not say one thing and either fall short or over shoot the goal horribly. If we could only take $$ out of the equation for developing web technologies. Think how much we would get done then. (Not saying take money out of the online world just take it out of developing it's technologies.)

This message was edited by kicker on 12-6-06 @ 7:12 PM

SirRawlins
12-06-2006 @ 6:41 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

P.s. Its funny you should mention the 64, I baught one just the other week with a joystick and 82 games, all on tape ... bloody awsome ... £30, what a bargain!

SirRawlins
12-06-2006 @ 6:39 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Thats right Craig, I love the concept of globally accessible information, but I find appolo and flex a complete contradiction to one another.

The whole 'globaly accessible' network would be based soley server side, like you say, doing away with the likes of OS and installable applications, as there would be no real need for them, as you can have you applications hosted elsewhere, and globaly accessible and attached to the largest information network you can possibly imagine.

However, this excelent concept relies on the idea of taking desktop applications, and removing them from the OS dependant environment, and moving them onto the web... whereas appolo is unding all the hard work done to build the concept of online applications (which many people still are not using, they just build dynamic websites, which is a totaly different game in my opinion) and then placing back into the desktop os reliant platform .... just seems so pointless, albiet interesting.

I'm glad to see that flex is comming along nicely, and god knows that we needed a solution other than bloody javascript lol ... and i've seen some excelent work done with it, i just hope that Adove dont focus too much on the back of it at this point with coldfusion.

I sometimes feel that building lots of fancy new features into CF that are specificly designed to work with flex sort of feels like being bullied into taking a direction which might not yet be appropriate. It will no doubt be the future or the internet, and I cant wait to get started with it all, I'm just yet to see a Flex app that really works properly with a decent real-world application.

Rob

kicker
12-06-2006 @ 6:28 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I take a slightly different stance on that. I think we should be moving forward with the web as a rich user environment despite the short comings of those who are in able to code properly. Think of it this way if the web was both a desktop app and a web app we would have in the truest sense of the words a wealth of knowledge that could be easily accessed and updated. For example say it's 2050 and we have moved away from operating systems all together and just have for lack of better words a global system. You can access it from your phone your tv, your C64! (For those of you not old enough Comadore 64 -old computer)
Now say you want to know if it's ok to fly to your business meeting on Mars, those pesky space monkeys, you no longer have to wait till your pc starts up to ask your friend in MoonCity how it is out there. As soon as the screeen comes on you have instant access to everything. So now you are on your way to mars and realize that we would not have gotten there and stayed had it not been for the kid in Japan that figured out how to break light speed by accessing all the information he/she needed in a few simple clicks including videos, excell sheets, and that saleslogics report for boeing, and using an app that would have otherwise cost 20,000 (fill in your currency)to calculate the speed of a fruit fly, all without ever having to download a thing except flash player 20.

Now granted that is a really loose and rather scifi example of why we should move in that direction, but I am sure it gets the point across as to why we should always move forward.

Craig

JJfutbol
12-06-2006 @ 6:18 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!