EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Flex Development / CF_Flex 2-based, database-driven banner ad rotator

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: CF_Flex 2-based, database-driven banner ad rotator

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

stinasius
03-22-2008 @ 7:28 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

hi how can i create a database driven ad rotator in flex and coldfusion? i wanna add it on my website.

kicker
03-22-2008 @ 10:14 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Ok, this is a really quick and dirty solution you will need to tailor it to your needs, but the basics are there.

Here is the cf code.

< cfcomponent>
     < cffunction name="adrotator" access="remote" returntype="string">
          < cfquery datasource="yourdb" name="getCount" cachedwithin="#CreateTimeSpan(0,0,1,0)#">
             Select ADID
            From AD_tble
        < / cfquery>
        < cfset randomAd = randRange(1,getCount.recordcount)>
        < cfquery datasource="yourdb" name="qAds">
             Select AD
            From AD_tble
            Where ADID = < cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" value="#randomAd#">
        < / cfquery>
        < cfset adtoshow = qAds.AD>
        < cfreturn adtoshow>
     < / cffunction >
< / cfcomponent >

The first query is cached so we don't need to call it every time to get a count. You can increase or decrease the cache time to your liking. Right now it is set to one minute.

here is the actionscript (again quick and dirty)

import flash.utils.Timer;
               import flash.events.TimerEvent;

private var adTimer:Timer = new Timer(30000);

private function initAds():void
               {
                    adTimer.addEventListener(TimerEvent.TIMER, getNextAd);
                    adTimer.start();
               }

private function getNextAd(evt:TimerEvent):void
               {
                    //call remote object or webservice will fire every 30 seconds you and increase or decrease the frequency you would
                    //use the event listener for your remote object or webservice to handle the information returning and applying it.
               }

The initADs function can be called at creation complete or later your choice.

Anyway there it is, very basic and a great jumping point for rotating ads. Again I suggest altering it to your needs and requirements.

Craig

This message was edited by kicker on 3-22-08 @ 10:15 AM

stinasius
03-24-2008 @ 8:12 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!