EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Other / Before I go too far...

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Before I go too far...

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Eiolon
01-21-2006 @ 3:28 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

This isn't an issue, I am just looking more for advice.

All the practice applications I have created so far have used MS Access for its database.  Is it wise for me to start learning MSSQL or MySQL and use that instead?  I know Access can be powerful but I am curious if it will be too limiting to what other databases could possibly offer?  Is there a large security concern with using Access?

Thanks for your advice!

JJfutbol
01-21-2006 @ 3:36 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Very good questions. Lets just say this. In a important and large environment you do not want to be using Access. Good database for very small apps that won't ever get large and also for local testing or for yourself. But if you got a big app in the works, especially stuff for clients that can get very very complex, no questions asked, you got to ditch Access. Next week I will start working with MySQL so I'm excited about that. It runs very very fast. For the past few months I've been working in SQL Server and have really enjoyed it. Moving to SQL Server will offer you so much more and yet be very similar in feel to Access so you will most likely be better off with that. I picked up SQL Server just fine on my own as doing easy stuff in it like Access is very easy. I'm sure it will be the same for you.

----------------------------------------------------
Need FREE CF applications?? Then my site has it all, http://www.javier-julio.com/development/coldfusion/downloads/ In time I will be including many more free CF apps and ASP ones as well. Currently working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict. It will be open source and available to all.

Eiolon
01-21-2006 @ 4:34 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!