EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / MySQL Related Issues / MySql conversion confusion...

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: MySql conversion confusion...

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

babray
10-03-2005 @ 7:00 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hi!

I know MySql is good but not that good! I used the mysql.com migration toolkit and "thought" I had everything set. New host, new DB... but the "new DB" is 250KB as opposed to the 13 MB of Access!

Do I need to put the Access DB and the MySql file to the server? Did I miss something in the migration toolkit? I followed a tutorial by mysql but ...

I also invested in SQLManager and would use their wizard, tutorial included except they do not say inthe tutorial or toolbar how to get to it! Help ther is welcome as well.

If I sound furstrated, frazzled and like I'm back to square one... I am.

THANKS!
B

GrowlyBear
10-15-2005 @ 3:25 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

First off is all there data there? Check with the MySQL Query browser (downloadable for free from mysql.com)

Next MS Access is big, add and delete a record and it gets bigger. Delete 5 records and it gets bigger.

If you can, make a copy of that access db and then run under "Tools" > "Database Utilites" > "Compact and Repair Database"

Then compare sizes for the old and new files. The new one should be significantly smaller.

Using the MySql migration tool kit has several options.
When migrating it will ask if you want to create the script to "build" the database on other servers. If yes the it will create the .sql file.
Then it will convert and build the script to build your  database. Easily missed is the option to migrate existing data when building the database. Because it can build the database without migrating existing data.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think I'm a Hypochondriac, what do you take for that?

babray
10-15-2005 @ 9:21 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Thanks GrowlyBear,

I finally bit the bullet and charged ahead. Everything was there and all is well and working. I'm finding that not much is writtena about MySQL and even less for those using it on home machines strictly for development.

I appreciate the answer.
Betty

GrowlyBear
10-15-2005 @ 9:37 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!