EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / MySQL Related Issues / MySQL timestamp dilemna - do or do not?

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: MySQL timestamp dilemna - do or do not?

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Wizzar
03-06-2008 @ 1:30 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

HI all,

I have a question concerning MySQL (4.01) and Cold Fusion 7.0. This is in regard to date logic and speed of processing.

Ok, I have been working on a subscription system (typical login stuff). Now, according to typical Cold fusion the following statement is logical and considered to be standard notation..

<CFSET today_date = Now()> <!--- this will of course, render the following in the date field...

{ts '2008-03-06 09:59:03'}

This is your classic timedate stamp.

However, I am wondering if it advantageous to setup a custom datestamp, as In my case, my project (subscription project) does not rely on PRECISE date time combinations. My project only requires DAY / DATE logic and no hourly, or seconds formatting.

Can I get away with setting the formatted date fields with the following?

CFCODE:

<CFSET today_date = Now()>
<CFSET today_normal = DateFormat(today_date,"dd-mm-yy")>

- which will render the following:

06-03-08

Is this formatting acceptable to MySQL through CF 7.0? Is there any speed or performance trade offs?

Anyone with experience in this issue, Please give me the benefit of your experience!!

Thank you in Advance.

Rooting in work is crucial to any accomplishment. Rooting in mere enthusiasm will in the long run force illusory measures to keep the fires of empty enthusiasm going. And this makes politics and politicians.
Wilhelm Reich -- April 19, 1951

SirRawlins
03-06-2008 @ 1:45 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hey Wizzar,

My advice would probably be to leave it as it is. There isnt any negative aspect to saving a full date/time stamp into the database, this is how it 'should' be done. If you dont need the full date/time for your application or you want to reformat it then simply do it when you output the date, rather than before it goes in, like so:

<cfoutput>#dateFormat(MyQuery.MyDate#, "dd-mm-yyyy")</cfoutput>

When data is placed into the database I always think it is best to keep it as raw as possible, all the formatting and manipulation should be done when you pull it back out, with dates in particular I can think of a few reasons.

A) The database loves to store the full date/time, its what it was built to do, if you change that then the poor database wont ever fullfill its destiny, and being a MySQL database it has a hard enough time as it is :-D

B) You never know when the application spec might change, all of a sudden a new business requirement comes into view which means you need to know the exact times your data is changing, only problem being you've got 500,000 rows of old data which doesnt have a time stamp on it because you cut it off before entering it into the database.

C) Localization, you might find yourself moving or selling the application into non english speaking countries, in which they format thier dates and times very differently, if you've cropped it and chopped it all around then that wont work.

At the end of the day, its always a 'best practice' to store the date in the database in as full state as possible, if you really think that the time isnt ever going to be applicable then by all means that can be lost, but to be honest, I dont see the point, there is no performance detrement or storafe space consumption benefits to cropping it, so leave it be.

Just my thoughts,

Rob

Wizzar
03-06-2008 @ 2:00 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Fair enough SirRawlins!

Your arguements make good sense. I'm glad I consulted someone about this, because there is a chance that the app will be resold in the future (better safe than sorry). I'm not a gambler Smile

There could be a chance that there is a hidden wisdom to saving the Timestamp "RAW" as you say...and I'm going to follow your suggestion on this!

Thanks mate!

Rooting in work is crucial to any accomplishment. Rooting in mere enthusiasm will in the long run force illusory measures to keep the fires of empty enthusiasm going. And this makes politics and politicians.
Wilhelm Reich -- April 19, 1951

Lossed
03-06-2008 @ 3:11 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!