EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / MySQL Related Issues / splitting varchar field data to 2 fields

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: splitting varchar field data to 2 fields

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

asmostad
02-27-2008 @ 3:45 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I have a database of 66 million consumer addresses. Unfortunately, I have the first and last name in one field. I need to seperate this into 2 fields; first_name and last_name. If there is any way to do this please help!!! I was thinking of somehow looping through the field and taking any text after the first space and putting that into a seperate field (last_name). I understand that not all of my data is formatted FIRSTNAME LASTNAME (ie some of it is FIRSTNAME MIDDLEINITIAL LASTNAME), but I could accept the inconsistencies that would arrise from that or even losing some of the records as a result. Any ideas?

Lossed
02-27-2008 @ 3:38 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hi asmostad,

The sheer weight of data any solution needs to lift  probably necessitates not only something that will work but that it's as efficient as possible.

You would probably get the best solution by asking this question on the MySQL forum.

When you have nutted out the best solution, please can you post back in here or link to any discussion of it? It would be great to see what the experts came up with.

**edit** my first thought was using substring index with positive and negative counts around an empty space delimiter, but there is bound to be better ways than that.

Lossed
---------------------------
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail Smile
-----------------------------

This message was edited by Lossed on 2-27-08 @ 3:42 PM

waynobweno
02-27-2008 @ 5:06 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Here is what i would do... though i have never dealt with 66 million entries,...

set the name to a list and replace the spaces with commas...

<cfset thename = "#replace(nametbl, " ",",","all")#">

Get the first name: #listgeat(thename, 1)# - this will select the first name always...

Now get the length of the list: #listlen(thename)#

if length equals 2: there is only a first and last name
if length equals 3: there is a first middle and last
if length equals 4 and above: I have no clue what country they are from, you gotta figure this one out..

<cfif listlen(thename) eq 2>
   #listgetat(thename, 2)# - this will give you the last name...
<cfelseif listlen(thename) eq 3>
   #listgetat(thename, 3)# - this will give you the last name... and by pass the middle name which would be position two in the list...
</cfif>

Hope that help...

Real Estate CPR
www.realestatecpr.com
Demo: www.realestatecpr.com/demo/
Content=Presentation=Results!!!

This message was edited by waynobweno on 2-27-08 @ 5:07 PM

asmostad
03-14-2008 @ 3:24 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

sorry this took me so long to review, test, and respond. this worked fabulously!!! I was really under the gun with this and you have helped tremendously. really, if i can do anything to recipricate just let me know. i run a list company (and also do all the tech crap with our site and dbs). if you have any marketing needs let me know!

thanks,
adam johnson
president
green apple marketing
866-345-9455 x103
www.greenapplemarketing.net

asmostad
03-20-2008 @ 7:19 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!