EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / MS SQL Server Related Issues / Extra WhiteSpace

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Extra WhiteSpace -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

apletfx
03-06-2007 @ 4:24 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I have read elsewhere that MS SQL can add extra white space to fields. Im
having this issue myself and am not satisfied with the answers I have
been reading about. I have read that people use trim() to remove the
space on the output but that is ridiculous to have to add an extra function
just to stop this. I would imaging that the error could be corrected in the
database rather than at the code level.  

Mark Aplet
http://www.pixeljunkie.org

JJfutbol
03-06-2007 @ 6:28 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Do you first know why the extra whitespace is even being added in?? I work with Microsoft SQL Server all the time and it's never happened to me unless the whitespace was forced by the user (entering blanks within a textarea in a text datatype field) or an error by the developer. The second one happened to one of the guys on our team which ended up being quite a funny story.

Are you by chance using CFC's to insert and update records in your database?? If so make sure your cffunction's and the cfcomponent tags have a output="false". You must have this stated as by default those tags have a value of true for the output attribute. Let us know how you are doing. Do note it is recommended and considered best practice when ever entering data into the database (or updating it) to use trim() just in case.

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF applications available at my site, such as the popular CFC Validator www.javier-julio.com My new site design is up!! Let me know what you all think! Working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict.

apletfx
03-06-2007 @ 8:10 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Well actually I typed it in directly through the ent manager. It's possible
that I set the datatype or length incorrectly. I used char as the datatype
and 100 as the length. Would this make a difference?

Mark Aplet
http://www.pixeljunkie.org

JJfutbol
03-06-2007 @ 8:37 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I never use char but I'm sure it has its uses but if its a simple field with just string data I'd recommend using varchar or nvarchar. I used to know the difference between the 2 but I don't remember at the moment my apologies. I'd stick to using varchar there. The length sounds just fine unless the data you save will never need that much space.

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF applications available at my site, such as the popular CFC Validator www.javier-julio.com My new site design is up!! Let me know what you all think! Working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict.

raulriera
03-07-2007 @ 4:03 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

If you use "char(100)" and use a value less than 100 MSSQL will add whitespaces until it reaches the 100 cap, use varchar(100) insted Smile

Raul Riera
http://www.hipervinculo.net

apletfx
03-07-2007 @ 4:11 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!