EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / MS Access Related Issues / Access Alternative

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Access Alternative

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

s_sykes
03-29-2006 @ 3:06 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

All,

I've built quite a few apps with CF and Access, but the one I'm working on now is a problem.  My users (approx 10) want to load a list of about 7 million records into a DB they can easily search and make minor changes to.  From my calculations that will make an Access DB of at least 1.5 GB if I'm lucky.

I'm thinking this is more than Access can handle, but I don't really know what my other options are.  As always, I need to get this going quickly, but have limited experience with other DB's.  I thought about SQL server, but I don't own a copy and wonder if any ISP would let me load that many records anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

maquiladoras
03-29-2006 @ 3:09 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Go for something free

Such as MySQL or PostGreSQL
your hosts most likely have mySQL anyway
(its free and powerful and catching up)

Also the big hitters such as Orcale, and MSSQL have free versions too

Best thing to do is set up a dev server on your machine, play about with mysql, or whatever db you go with and determine the space it then creates and then either ask for a MySQL DB from your hosts (you may have to pay for more if they dont automatically include it) or go about finding another host (as this is really a basic function of an ISP hosting your website)

-
Any code printed thus far is likely to be stolen and used by Ray Horn, well done...ray
-

s_sykes
03-29-2006 @ 3:22 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Does MySQL come in multiple flavors like Linix or is there just one place to go and download?  Do you think importing one table from Access would be quick and painless?

Also - any tips on setting up a datasource connection to MySQL in CFAdmin? I don't think that's one of the standard drivers you can pick from.  It's probably simple so I apoligize for my ignorance!

maquiladoras
03-29-2006 @ 3:25 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

MySQL is multiplatform (linux, windows, bsd, unix, OSX) etc

Migrating from Access to MySQL can be a little testing, you can either do it manually or you can buy a program to copy everything, there are also tools such as MySQL Front that can do Access and ODBC imports and exports

MySQL 3.x has a native drive from CFMX6.1/7
for MySQL4 and MySQL5 however, you will have to download a JDBC connector from the MySQL website and then use the "Other" DB connector and provide a jdbc:// connection string.

Its all very well documented, and pretty easy to set up.

-
Any code printed thus far is likely to be stolen and used by Ray Horn, well done...ray
-

s_sykes
03-29-2006 @ 3:31 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!