EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / MS Access Related Issues / 5 table query conundrum

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 5 table query conundrum

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

tgruen
03-24-2008 @ 4:40 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

=== This is a long and challenging request for help. No hard feelings if no one has the time to step up and actually envision this conundrum. ===

After 3 days of banging my head on this one (did anyone else work Easter?) I have stalled in frustration. I feel I am ALMOST there but, alas, it escapes me.

DB is MSAccess. Client has an existing application for tracking assets. I wish it were SQL Server but.... I won't go there.

Here is the function:
I need to select information on an asset (a computer in this case) and see where it has been used. In this particular application computer assignments are recorded so the client can see who is using a computer. Computers can be assigned to employees or to groups. An example of a group is a computer lab, or public use in a library. This enables the tech guys to pull up a computer asset tag when challenged by all-knowing management and see what employee has it, or see that the computer in question is being used in the 5th floor computer lab. The page I am working on queries the database and returns a list of all the assignments for a particular computer. It should display a list of assignments whether the assignment was an employee assignment, or a group assignment. This will enable the tech support staff to pull up a computer by asset tag and see the computer's usage history. Only the asset id in the database (assets.a_id) is passed to the CFM page I am working on. This can be modified if necessary.

Selecting the required information involves 5 tables. They are tbl_assignments, tbl_assets, tbl_locations, tbl_employees, tbl_groups.

Here is a simplified outline of the DB structure and pertinent fields;

Tables:

tbl_assignments: this records assignments
assn_id = primary key
assn_a_id = asset foreign key from tbl_assets
assn_loc = asset location foreign key from tbl_locations (physical locations)
assn_empid = foreign key from tbl_employees
assn_groupid = foreign key from groups table

tbl_assets: this is the list of assets
a_id = primary key
a_loc_id = foreign key from the locations table (locations are physical offices)

tbl_locations
loc_id = primary key
loc_city = city
loc_state = state

tbl_employees
empl_id = primary key
empl_loc = employee location
empl_fname = first name

tbl_groups
groupid = primary key
group_name = name of broup (lab1, lab2, library, etc)
group_locid = foreign key for the location of the group

The exact issue is that assignments are either employee assignments OR group assignments. An asset may have a record in both tables, only one table, or neither table (if the asset is new). I have been able to get the query to work fine when I am only looking for assignments that are only employee, or assignments that are only group. But when my query (below) hits both tables it returns nothing. I think this is because my query is looking for full matches (where the record is in both the employee table and the group table). I haven't been able to find the best way to pull all matches regardless of employee or group related rcords.

My SQL:
SELECT assignments.assn_id, assignments.assn_a_id, assignments.assn_loc, assignments.assn_empid, assignments.assn_groupid, assets.a_id, assets.a_loc_id, assets.a_groupid, groups.groupid, groups.group_name, groups.group_locid, locations.loc_id, locations.loc_name, locations.loc_city, locations.loc_state, employees.empl_id, employees.empl_loc, employees.empl_fname
FROM groups INNER JOIN (employees INNER JOIN ((locations INNER JOIN assets ON locations.loc_id = assets.a_loc_id) INNER JOIN assignments ON assets.a_id = assignments.assn_a_id) ON employees.empl_id = assignments.assn_empid) ON groups.groupid = assignments.assn_groupid
WHERE (assignments.assn_a_id = 489)
AND (assignments.assn_groupid = groups.groupid)
OR (assignments.assn_empid = employees.empl_id)

If an actual copy of the database would be helpful I am able to share it. Contact me for a link to the file. I hope I have explained this sufficiently. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Tony

This message was edited by tgruen on 3-24-08 @ 4:43 PM

cfSearchin
03-24-2008 @ 6:11 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Thanks for taking the time to write such a good explanation of the issue.

This definitely calls for some type of outer join(s). What remains to be seen is how easy it is to construct the proper joins with Access. IIRC it is does not offer as much flexibility with joins as SQL Server.

A link to a sample database would be a great help.

tgruen
03-24-2008 @ 7:14 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!