EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / MS Access Related Issues / generating an order or confirmation number

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: generating an order or confirmation number -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

jimo
08-16-2007 @ 10:37 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hello, I have a form that my users will fill out to register a class or a conference. The form works and submits data to an Access database. This is good.

When the users see the registration action page I want them to see a confirmation number. So far I have tried adding the ContactsID (auto number in Access{)field to my action page in the formfields list. I have not been able to display it and got the error message:

You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data type. Sometimes I got ContactsID not defined- not sure how to define it. Can the same thing be done using and INSERT. I am new to Coldfusion, like it so far and am a coding newbie. Thank you
jim

Is there a better ways to do this?

dlackey
08-16-2007 @ 10:48 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I set a var to the current date and format it.  It allows me to know when the confirmation was generated, too.  And, it will always be unique, too.

<cfset ConfirmationID = "#dateformat(now(),'yymmdd')##timeformat(now(), 'hhmmss')#">

I've seen people use #createuuid()# but I wasn't pleased with that approach.

Cheers,
Chip

jimo
08-16-2007 @ 11:46 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Thank you for the prompt reply. I added your line of and now the message I get is VARIABLE NAME is undefined. I did not get this prior to adding the code. Does setting the ContactsID variable now mean I need to set others? Thanks

dlackey
08-16-2007 @ 12:02 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I used ConfirmationID in the cfset statement.  You may need to change ConfirmationID to match the variable you are calling.  The only reason why you'd should get a 'variable name undefined' is if there is a typo somewhere.

Cheers,
Chip

jimo
08-16-2007 @ 12:11 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!