EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Good Coding Tips! / Scoping variables. PART II

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Scoping variables. PART II

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Lola
04-18-2005 @ 6:06 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I would just like to point out that scoping is extremely important. After I scoped all my variables in my app, the speed increase went from 98ms to 63-78ms. That is a huge difference for any developer.

Many developers forget to scope queries:

<cfloop query='variables.name'>
    #variables.name.column#
</cfloop>

Remember that even queries are under a variables scope, and so are user-defined functions. Many people forget about this,

#variables.udf()#

It will increase performance, I guarantee.

This message was edited by Lola on 4-21-05 @ 8:47 AM

Lossed
04-23-2005 @ 8:02 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

tks for this post Lola.
On one monstor(for me anyway) nested loops page with queries outside and one I had to put inside the loops, I went through and scoped everything. Execution times dropped from around 800ms to around 500ms. Wow, what a difference that made. Couldn't belive my eyes and had to run the same templates over and over to get some averages. It's a scehdueled task with some final writes to the application scope at the very end of the page. So the time didn't really matter on this page, but going through everything I've coded to date to scope everything is now high on my to-do list. Tks.

Lossed
---------------------------
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail Smile
-----------------------------

Lola
04-23-2005 @ 9:24 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Your Welcome!

Just recently when I did some heavy optimization on my application, I dropped from around 110 ms to 32/31 ms JUST a few days ago.

I still expect to drop it to 15/16 ms when I do final stages on optimization, wow that would be awesome wouldn't it? When I first started I was around 200!

Anyway, yes, always scope your variables, it'll be less confusing, faster, and you can have more than 1 variable with the same name in different scopes.

If you want more on optimization, I started this little blog myself just yesterday:

http://cfsource.blogspot.com/

I will be adding articles daily, I should have new article on optimizing coldfusion code tonight, so bookmark it! Playful

Coldfusion optimization strategies and benchmarks:
http://cfsource.blogspot.com/

This message was edited by Lola on 4-23-05 @ 9:25 PM

Lossed
04-23-2005 @ 11:20 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!