EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Good Coding Tips! / Where to store DSN username and password

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Where to store DSN username and password

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Lendo
03-30-2007 @ 7:31 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Dear all,

I'm about to develop a new application with Coldfusion and MySQL. Of course, you want this to be as secure as possible.

It is good practice they say not to hardcode the DSN, username and password in your webpages. Makes sense. But you can't put them in a database, since to access this info, you need to get to the database first, hence need a username and password for that.

So I thought of encrypting it and putting the encrypted version in the page. And when needed, decrypt it. Of course with GenerateSecretKey, otherwise I have to put the key there and it's again not safe.

But is this a good solution, or is it still not safe? Or is putting this sensitive info unencrypted in the Application.cfm safe enough?

Any suggestions on how to store my DSN, usernames and passwords for database access in my application is most welcome.

Kind regards,
Lendo

Webmaster
03-30-2007 @ 9:20 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

are you building this as an application to live in a shared server or a "dedicated" server?

Pablo Varando
Senior Application Architect
EasyCFM.COM, LLC.

904.483.1457 \\ mobile
webmaster@easycfm.com \\email

Lendo
03-30-2007 @ 9:46 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!