EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Good Coding Tips! / Naming Conventions

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Naming Conventions -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

dduck1934
12-18-2006 @ 12:05 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hey guys,

I am wondering what naming conventions you guys use for your methods, variables, form fields, queries, compnents etc. I realize its all personal preference, but I wanted to know what has worked for you?

I feel my luck could change...Its gonna be a glorious day.

JJfutbol
12-18-2006 @ 12:23 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Ah well done El Pato! Smile  This should prove to be a useful topic for everyone. I always aim for descriptive naming over shorter names. Although with keeping things simple I might end up with not such a long name.

For methods that work with booleans I like using the word 'has' or 'is' at the beginning. For example, hasID() or isRegistered(). So if I'm doing something like this:

<cfif variables.user.isRegistered()>

I find it much more readable and usually doesn't ever require a comment. Also despite the great use of the hint attribute (generated cfc docs) I find it not worth the effort if function and variable names are meaningful as they should be and tell you exactly what they are. Trust me this is critical. Oh the horrors I've experienced with other languages. Smile  I love my 'findNoCase', 'find', 'reFind' and just despise 'eregi' (what the hell does that mean PHP? come on!).

Also for boolean type variables I like to have the 'is' or 'has' in front of it. For example, <cfset isActive = true> but I've noticed I'm not one that likes to put data type indicators in front of a variable name (arr, st, etc. - exclude queries) not sure why but I just find it more readable without it. I usually can always tell what data I'm working with. So for example with date/time variables I prefer something like this:

<cfset createdOn = now()>
<cfset updatedOn = now()>
<cfset eventStartsOn = now()>
<cfset eventEndsOn = now()>

For queries I'm still stuck with the habit of throwing a 'q' before whatever it is I'm returning. I've seen many use 'get' or other keywords I guess for me its just a matter of I haven't been able to ditch 'q'. For components I try and keep the name within 1 or 2 words and for my beans the name stays singular. Anything else I just try to keep it descriptive.

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF applications available at my site, such as the popular CFC Validator www.javier-julio.com My new site design is up!! Let me know what you all think! Working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict.

This message was edited by JJfutbol on 12-18-06 @ 12:25 PM

twista
12-18-2006 @ 12:42 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Databases:
Table Names: CamelCase(first letter capitalized), singular form, descriptive of contents in as few words as humanly possible. So, for a table of calendar events. I would type CalendarEvent as the name.(Be careful with singular naming in a database, very easy to run into reserved words. ie. User)
Field Names: Descriptive of contents, CamelCase(first letter capitalized). CalendarEvent.EventDate

Objects: I name it for the functionality it contains. CamelCased with the first letter capitalized. Internal methods should have a camelCase with the first letter lower case. User.doUserLogin(). Properties(in the variables scope of the object) should be camelCased with an underscore(_) in front of them: _objectProperty = 'value'.

Functions: I like to name them for specificity in camel Case with the last first letter lower cased. Name it for what it does. like so: getValue() setValue() doLogin()

-------------
-Morgan
Lead Trainer of the Ninja Squirrels
quote:

every time you store comma delimited values in a relational database, God kills a kitty.
-CJ

SirRawlins
12-18-2006 @ 1:24 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Yes this is a nice topic to discuss.

When I first started out in CF earlier in the year, I found it a great help to prepend everything with a referance to the type of item I was dealing with, so.

arrMyArray - Arrays
strMyStructure - Structures
qryMyQuery - Queries
tblMyTable - Tables
objMyObject - Objects

And a few others I forget.

However, as you become more comfortable with the syntax it actualy becomes easier to read when you drop all those prepends and just work with the basics of naming.

Like JJ says, clarity is the key, keeping things relevant and description of what the item 'is' or 'does' are very important.

For multiple word names, use the camelWhatever that was suggested by twista.

Also keeping all your components/objects with a capital letter at the start is meant to be a good thing, and apparently is suggested as a best practice in other programming languages aswell.

Although, even with great naming conventions, you should always use the self-documenting hint attributes ... thats just JJ being a lazy bones ;-)

Rob

dduck1934
12-18-2006 @ 2:03 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

When i see strXXX i think string and not structure, but that is just me.  What about form variables?

things like

textfields = txtFoo
textarea = taFoo
radio buttons = radioFoo
checkbox = chkFoo
buttons btnFoo

What about component names?  Do you guys do anything special naming them?

mycfcDAO = Data Access object
mycfcBean = CFC Bean
mycfcGateway = CFC Gateway object
mycfcFactory = CFC Factory Object

dduck

I feel my luck could change...Its gonna be a glorious day.

JJfutbol
12-18-2006 @ 2:24 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!