EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Good Coding Tips! / Emailing Passwords

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Emailing Passwords

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

dduck1934
09-20-2006 @ 10:24 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I am interested in finding out some suggestions on how to go about users forgetting passwords and/or usernames.  I see on easycfm you enter in your email and Im guessing it sends your username and password (haven't tried it).

I am concerned about sending passwords through email. Ive tried to think of other ways that will allow the user to go in and reset their password, or maybe generate a new random password if they forget their password.  Also, the app i use will allow me, an admin on the site, to go in and reset a user's password to a generic password.  I cannot see their password, so that is the only option I have.

Any thoughts on this?

Matthew (dduck1934)

I feel my luck could change...Its gonna be a glorious day.

Webmaster
09-20-2006 @ 11:37 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

How about a forgot password question and answer. If the user gets it right alow them to change the password (then you never send anything via email).

So if they forgot the password they put in their email address... if it matches then you would ask them a question (they answered themselves at signup). If they get it right allow the password change.

Pablo Varando
Senior Application Architect
EasyCFM.COM, LLC.

904.483.1457 \\ mobile
webmaster@easycfm.com \\email

mquack
09-20-2006 @ 7:03 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

For what it's worth, I don't trust any site that can retrieve my password and send it to me.  That's not to say that I don't use a site that can retrieve it, or I wouldn't be on here at EasyCFM, but I can assure you that my password for such sites is something that is completely BS and is not used for anything that is even remotely sensitive.

Knowing all of this, I hash all passwords on all of my apps, and if someone loses their password, they have two basic options:

1) Correctly answer the "secret question" (assuming that the app has that feature), or

2) The server resets their password to a randomly generated password and emails the new one to them (but does NOT include their user name).  They are then able to login using the new password, but cannot do anything else until they reset it to a personal one.

http://www.rachelqueensg.com

This message was edited by mquack on 9-20-06 @ 7:05 PM

dduck1934
09-20-2006 @ 10:17 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!