EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / ASP to CFML / help converting ASP to CFML - connection code

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: help converting ASP to CFML - connection code -- page: 1 2 3

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

MikeCFM7
03-02-2007 @ 12:45 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I need nelp in connecting to an Access Database Using File DSN and Coldfusion.  I have an example of how to code ASP but don't know how to convert the code to CF.  Also, I don't know what forum to post this in.  Here is the ASP example code that I need to convert to CF:
<%
Dim oConn, oRs
Dim qry, connectstr, sDSNDir
Dim db_name, db_username, db_userpassword
Dim db_server, dsn_name

dsn_name = "your_dsn_name"
fieldname = "your_fieldname"
tablename = "your_tablename"

sDSNDir = Server.MapPath("_dsn")

connectstr = "filedsn=" & sDSNDir & "/" & dsn_name

Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
oConn.Open connectstr
qry = "SELECT * FROM " & tablename

Set oRS = oConn.Execute(qry)

if not oRS.EOF then
while not oRS.EOF
response.write ucase(fieldname) & ": " & oRs.Fields(fieldname) & " "
oRS.movenext
wend
oRS.close
end if

Set oRs = nothing
Set oConn = nothing

%>
I have Coldfusion setup with GoDaddy and I have a DSN and file name for my Access Database.  I use the Developers edition of Coldfusion with Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.

You are appreciated.
Mike

You are appreciated.
Mike

You are appreciated.
Mike

JJfutbol
03-02-2007 @ 1:06 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Ah good ol' ASP. Smile  I remember those days. There's little to no trouble in converting what you have. I take it, as you stated, you not only have the DSN setup but know what the DSN is. In this case the only other thing you need to know is the cfquery tag.

Within the starting and closing cfquery tag you specify your SQL code. You can see the documentation for it here: http://www.cfquickdocs.com/?getDoc=cfquery. Assuming you don't have to use a username and password to interact with your database (godaddy would have given this to you if so) then all you have to specify is the datasource attribute along with a name for the query. For example:

<cfquery name="qUsers" datasource="your-DSN-goes-here">
SELECT userId, username
FROM users
</cfquery>

And that's all there is to it. Simple no? Again note there is a username and password attribute for the cfquery tag. I'm not sure if godaddy requires that you specify that as well. Most ISP's don't, just using the DSN is enough. If you do need to specify the username and password you would have something like this:

<cfquery name="qUsers" datasource="myDSN" username="myDsnUsername" password="myDsnPassword">...

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF applications available at my site, such as the popular CFC Validator www.javier-julio.com My new site design is up!! Let me know what you all think! Working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict.

mquack
03-02-2007 @ 2:08 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Mike, welcome to EasyCFM.  PLEASE read the forum guidelines before continuing your use of the forums.  You've posted the identical message in three places.  This is absolutely and completely unacceptable.  We don't have very many rules here, so we'd certainly appreciate it if you have the decency to follow the few we do have.

Thanks.

www.rachelqueensg.com
Amazon Wish List

MikeCFM7
03-06-2007 @ 1:57 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Please accept my apology.  It won't happen again.
It seems I have sufficiently displayed my novice-ness.  In addition, I failed to check the appropriate check boxes in easycfm so only today did I discover I had answers.
On the plus side, I do learn from my mistakes.
Thanks for setting me straight and again, forgive me for violating the rules.

You are appreciated.
Mike

JJfutbol
03-06-2007 @ 2:02 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Don't worry about it Mike, mquack is just tough on the new guys. You know how it is. Some express their care for others with tough love. He's a great guy and you'll find he's very active here. Smile  Definitely pay heed to any advice he gives. Let us know how you are doing. Very glad to see you are moving from ASP to CF. You'll love working with it.

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF applications available at my site, such as the popular CFC Validator www.javier-julio.com My new site design is up!! Let me know what you all think! Working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict.

mquack
03-06-2007 @ 2:18 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!