EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Polls / Are kids too soft today?

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Poll Topic: Are kids too soft today? -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

mcsolas
02-02-2005 @ 11:52 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

For sure they are. I grew up in america but moved to costa 2 years ago. I live in a quite dangerous place where the police .. well they dont really do anything, especially when it comes to trying to stop the more dangerous criminals.

Kids from the states come down here and just get preyed upon by all these people here. Its tricky place, you have to have good street smarts and these kids, just straight up dont know S..T .. not about keeping safe on the streets to just having respect for the locals in another country.

kicker
02-13-2007 @ 2:57 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I'd like to play devils advocate to a common misconceptions that majority of people have. We are no more violent today than we were 10,000 years ago. Crime rate etc is no different, the same things happened 1,000 yrs ago exactly as they happened yesterday.

Let me explain. In 1950 there were no national boards or colleges conducting studies on lets say kidnapping rates.
There were no national figures for murders, etc. Most of these things happened locally and remained a local problem. Thus when they did become national news they were shocking. Media played a much smaller role in broadcasting these events then, even smaller prior.
Also it may seem like a common place thing today to hear how someone was murdered, but no more common than it was 25, 50, 75, 100 years ago. What has increased is our capita, thus making the rates seem alarming larger. But take those same numbers and match them against any numbers you can find for the last 100 yrs and adjust for population you still come up with the same numbers.

You will also find that these numbers go up and down in cycles. Getting worse, getting better.  

Here is hard facts the fbi website says there is a 2.4 increase in violent crime between 2005 and 2004. Ok that number is formed from a population of 299,398,484. Divided into 100,000 per group divided by the number of crimes found in that group.

Ok in 1995 there was 2.8 increase for a population of 262,755,000

So is it really any worse? No our perception has changed because of the flood of media we are now exposed to and lets face it what sells more papers, kids helping grandma cross the street or kids shooting each other? Like it or not we are thrilled with stories of violence and gore.

So back to my point there were the same things happening in our past as there are today with about the same frequency as they did, we just got better at telling each other about it.    Wink

Craig
Clearcg.com

PAGE: 1 2

Website Designed and Developed by Pablo Varando.