EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Polls / Are kids too soft today?

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Poll Topic: Are kids too soft today? -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Webmaster
03-27-2003 @ 2:48 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

Question:
Do you feel kids nowadays are over protected too much?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Not Sure

malk
03-28-2003 @ 3:27 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Your question as it stands is a little hard to answer... it seems to imply that kids are over protected, so do we think that amount is too much?

I think you meant to ask:

Do you feel kids nowadays are protected too much?

or

Do you feel kids nowadays are over protected?

... coz saying that they are 'over protected' is really the same as saying they are 'protected too much', but over protected too much sounds kinda funny... like asking 'do you think they are over protected too little' already assuming that they are over protected... get what I'm saying? {:)

This message was edited by malk on 11-16-04 @ 6:47 AM

cjn2271
08-17-2004 @ 1:28 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Yes! Over protected to say the least!

Look at this subject from the point of view that we now take our kids to play dates in a Mini-Van with DVD players and video screens to play video games on them. There was a time when parents kicked you out on the streets to go play tag and to fend for yourselves. Today we are so concerned about our kids to the point it has been over done!

LET THE KIDS do fun things to a point! With some rules to follow (that is without going overboard) you can have some peace of mind. If this makes any sence!!!

Got to go for now but had to say a little something here...

Chad @ www.emeregncyparts.com
Break something on your car or truck?
Get parts when you need them at wholesales prices!

Chad N.
Directore of www.emergencyparts.com

Magian
10-15-2004 @ 4:29 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Yes, I think that the kids nowdays are overprotected
and spoiled.

Please, kids 7 years old walk with their own
cellphones at school.   Confused

zilinx
10-15-2004 @ 11:16 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

yes and no.

in the sense of physical saftey, yes, kids are likely over protected.  when we were young, bike helmets barely existed for motorcycles, let alone your kid on a trike.  the floors of the playground were comprised of dirt packed so hard you could crack your head on it and get hurt as bad or worse than cement.  

but who would we blame (or maybe thank?) for this?  parents?  no, i seriously doubt it.  most parents have the same view that kids are over protected in comparison to their own childhood.  i think you'd have to look at the lawyers.  if there weren't people suing the crap out of everyone and everything, these improvements would likely not exists.  i like some of the no brainer items, but for the most part, i think this litigation costs you and me thousands of dollars each year in inflated costs for products due to these law suits.

but i also think kids are NOT over protected in many ways.  this is where the parents are at fault.  i can't count how many times i pass little girls, no idea on age, but very young, and think to myself - "if i EVER caught one of my daughters in that outfit, she'd wear pants for a year straight to learn a lesson"  (i have two daughters).  likewise, parents allow their children to roam the streets after dark, fail in school, etc etc.  

it seems that parents new tool (rather than to practice what i define as "parenting") is to blame to system rather than hold their child accountable for their actions.  kid gets bad grades?  time to go to the school board and find out why your kids' teachers hate them like he says.  its rediculous.  never mind the fact that you never offered to help he/she with their homework, or took any active role in the educational process - its not your fault, and more to the point, surely its not YOUR childs fault.  does this drive you nuts too?!

so in that sense, kids are protected enough. they don't get the parenting that they need, thus leaving them un-protected for when the training wheels and helmet come off and venture to the path called "reality" when they grow up.

i for one am worried about the next generation.  we're raising (as a whole) a whiney group of brats that want it their way and that "its not their fault"

time to back off a little on the common sense protection, and juice up the real protection.  ironically this means not protecting them from reality anymore and letting them be resposible for thier decisions.

just my 2p

Nate Nielsen
http://www.webclarity.com
See my new zip & unzip utility component there! (free & open source)

Ron
10-29-2004 @ 11:05 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!