EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Application Beta Testing Area! / Captcha Testers Please

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Captcha Testers Please -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

mquack
01-14-2007 @ 7:05 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

All you have to do is browse a few blog sites and you'll see the "comments" are often nothing more and nothing less than spam.

http://www.rachelqueensg.com

kicker
01-14-2007 @ 8:10 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I think what you have there to check for what is being submitted is a good start. As with any app you have to look at it from two angles to make it work. One is the user experience. What is a reasonable amount of information to ask from a user to be able to (in this case) submit comments? I think anyone that legitimately  wants to add feedback/comments would not find asking for an email address that is correct (in format) is asking to much. Think of what you had to do to write your post on here. Did you find it unreasonable? You probably did it without thinking to much about it.

The second part you must always think about is: What kind of security do I need to keep my app safe and as useful and user friendly as possible? You already asked yourself this when you decided to use the secrete phrase option. You already felt a need for some sort of security. There is nothing wrong with being safe. Infact you may see more return visitors, because they know you aren't just letting anyone post comments. And the ones that would be wrongdoers are less likely to go through the hassle of submitting garbage if they know you have secure measures in place to prevent such.

It's up to you to figure out what you are willing to put up with as far as what is submitted. It's easier to layout a plan now and write the code to that plan than it is to find out later that you really need a better plan and come back later to rewrite code.  Smile

Craig
Clearcg.com

PAGE: 1 2

Website Designed and Developed by Pablo Varando.