EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / ColdFusion Applications / application.cfm

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: application.cfm

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

cvu
02-27-2006 @ 2:42 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Is there a way to avoid setting session variables (such as session.dsn) multiple times in multiple application.cfm files.  In other words, how to set session variables only once even you have multiple application.cfm files in different directories.

JJfutbol
02-27-2006 @ 2:50 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Great question cvu. Never thought of a situation like that. Unless your application.cfm files that are in your subdirectories, not the parent one, unless they are including the application.cfm files from higher up you won't have access to those application or session variables.

For example lets say you have application.cfm in the root directory where you define your cfapplication tag and set some application and session vars. Then in that directory you have a folder called student with its own application.cfm. That file must have this:

<cfinclude template="../application.cfm">

For you to have access to the 'cfapplication' you defined in the root directory level application.cfm, does that make sense?? So if this is not going on you won't have to worry but if you still want to create session vars without having to set them each time a request is made, do the following:

<!--- if dsn is NOT in session scope--->
<cfif NOT structKeyExists(Session, "DSN")>
     <!--- then create it --->
     <cfset Session.DSN = "dbHello">
</cfif>

That code above will only set the Session variable once as the next time you make a request that will if statement will prove true as the var exists, so it will  never reset, until your session times out.

----------------------------------------------------
Need FREE CF applications?? Then my site has it all, http://www.javier-julio.com/development/coldfusion/downloads/ In time I will be including many more free CF apps and ASP ones as well. Currently working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict. It will be open source and available to all.

This message was edited by JJfutbol on 2-27-06 @ 2:51 PM

cvu
02-28-2006 @ 10:27 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

with the <cfinclude ...> tag, the application.cfm files would override each other.  For example: if you put the <cfinclude template="../parent/application.cfm"> at the end of the ../subdir/application.cfm.  The ../parent/application.cfm would override the one in subdir.  In other words, only one application.cfm is processed even with the <cfinclude ...> tag.

JJfutbol
02-28-2006 @ 10:36 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Not sure I follow cvu because I don't see a reason why you would do that. If I'm in a subdirectory, the application.cfm in that subdirectory would be including the one in the directory above it. Then if theres another higher directory level, the application.cfm in that directory would include from the one above. From what I think you might be saying you have it the other way around. The reason though why you would want to include application.cfm is so that your parent applicaiton.cfm that has the cfapplication tag 'persists' (can't think of another word) to other folders because if not you will not be able to access your application and sessions variables. Does that make sense? I hope I explained myself well if not let me know and I will try better.

You do have to worry about your subdirectories that have application.cfm because if they are not including the higher up application.cfm files (specifically the parent one) that has the cfapplication tag you will not be able to access those session and application vars. So what you have to do is go through all application.cfm files and check to make sure its going to the parent to one to get access to that session var. If not you will have to set it in those application.cfm files in your subdirectories that depend on that session var to exist. I hope I haven't lost ya, just trying my best to answer your issue I just don't understand the entire scope of it I just hope my explanation is proving useful. Smile  If not I will stop here.

----------------------------------------------------
Need FREE CF applications?? Then my site has it all, http://www.javier-julio.com/development/coldfusion/downloads/ In time I will be including many more free CF apps and ASP ones as well. Currently working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict. It will be open source and available to all.

This message was edited by JJfutbol on 2-28-06 @ 10:37 AM

cvu
02-28-2006 @ 12:10 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!