EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / ColdFusion Server / CF Server is freezing - "Request timeout"

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: CF Server is freezing - "Request timeout"

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

adrianciocalau
05-17-2007 @ 4:12 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hello everyone,

I am running an application - CF MX7,0,1 Enterprise (DevNet) on a Linux machine with a mySQL database in the background.
For the database connection I am using com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

I have this situation and I couldn't get to any solution so far, so I need your help:

- while browsing the application, on every few pages - maybe on every 5-6 click the CF server is freezing and throwing up this error "The request has exceeded the allowable time limit Tag: cfoutput"

The pages loads very fast (when they load!) but on every 5-6 pages a "request timeout" error occurrs... Like the server is getting a deadlock or something, the page loads forever till this. Sometimes the error comes up on very simple pages with no queries on it, sometimes with just HTML and very basic CF code on it.

I tried the debugger and SQL queries are running in good times... Do you have any clue what is causing this? I was suspecting the JDBC connection to the mySQL db, but I am not sure anymore... Did anyone got this situation before? I tried to optimze the queries, used application scope, query chaching, and so on. I have to mention I am not using CFLOCK at all in my pages, I don't know if this can cause problems like this... PLEASE HELP!

Adrian

Webmaster
05-18-2007 @ 1:54 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

Hi Adrian,

We would need to a know a lot of things before we could give you specific details.

We would need to know things like:

1) Within your CF settings... what is your timeout period defined as? (30 seconds? 60? 5?)

2) Is the database server on the same machine or on a separate machine.

a) if same then what configurations are in place... (are you using internal IP or external IP calls ot it in the datasource - this dictates if you call internally in your network or if you go out to the internet and then comeback).

b) if on a separate machine; what type of network for you have... how fast it it between one machine on the other... are you calling it internally using internal IPs or are you calling it externally as i mentioned above.

3) what does your QUERY code look like...

4) What level of troubleshooting have you done.. have you taken that query on a "query analyzer" type tool and ran it on the server... what is the "time to execute" value there?

5) How many records are being returned by the query that is then being output?

6) if you do the query and the DUMP it right after... does that work or does that time out too?

Those are just SOME of the questions that come to mind that we would need answered before we can help you find the issue. Please let us know and I am sure based on that responses we are probably going to have more questions.

Pablo Varando
Senior Application Architect
EasyCFM.COM, LLC.

904.483.1457 \\ mobile
webmaster@easycfm.com \\email

adrianciocalau
05-18-2007 @ 3:06 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hi Pablo, and thanks for your quick answer.

I will try to provide more details, maybe you can come up with some ideas. So:

1) The timeout period is the default one, so 30 sec.
2) The database server is on the same machine as the CF server.
3) I don't think the issue comes from a certain QUERY, and like I wrote before, I am not even sure if the issue comes from the database...
4) I took all the "suspect" queries and run it into analyzer and the times are very good, few seconds each, none of them bigger than 3-4 seconds.
5) One of our biggest table has 20.000 records or something and on a regular basis we pull out 14.000 records. Of course we are using pagination for this, with only 20 on a page.

It's no secret, the website we are talking about here is www.myNETmoto.com and it is an online shop selling motorcycle tyres. Maybe you have 5 minutes to do the following test and see the timeout yourself:

1. Go to

http://www.mynetmoto.com/motorradreifen.cfm/ActiveTab/shopping/ActiveLink/1/Search/1/breite/120/hoehe/70/felge/all/hersteller/all/StartRow/0/motorradreifen.html

This will perform a search for the most common size of motorcycle tyres, and it will return around 200 records.

2. Now, keep clicking NEXT button to go from page to page and let me know after how many clicks you got the timeout. After me, it is working pretty fast when it's not timing out, but at some point something is happening and we get the timeout thing...

Below you can see execution times for one of these pages:

658 ms 658 ms 1  /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/motorradreifen.cfm

4 ms 4 ms 1 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/Application.cfm

1 ms 1 ms 1 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/_bottom.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 14 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/_button.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 2 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/_button_yellow.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 1 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/_getStock.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 1 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/_top.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 10 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/_traffic.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 1 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/_warenkorb.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 1 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/en/lang.cfm

0 ms 0 ms 1 /chroot/home/mynetmot/mynetmoto.com/html/includes/checksessions.cfm