EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / New Users Area! / CF questions (non programmer)

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: CF questions (non programmer)

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

zaphansen
11-15-2005 @ 10:20 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I'm not a CF programmer, I leave that to someone who can actually do the work.  I am a conceputal sytems designer who needs a little bit of guidance on a project I am currently working on.  If anyone can tell me if it's feasible to do with CF, I would greatly appreciate it.  The project has been in a beta stage for almost 2 years, and I either need to scrap it, or find out if it can be done.

I push data (via UDP port)from one computer (source computer) to another computer (relay computer) every 3  minutes.  My CF programmer created a script (CF Server) that polls the relay computer every 45 seconds and grabs the new data and inserts it into a database.  If the data is the same on the (relay computer), it does nothing, if it is new it adds the fields into the database.  It does work, but due to the fact that this entire process is based on the 45 second refreshing of the CF script which is located on the (CF Server) file which must be open in a browser 24/7 to refresh properly and complete the updates, I have a less than satisfactory uptime rate due to internet outages, etc.

Question:  Can a CF website/script/application be set to listen to a specific IP address and port for this data?  I can also send the information in XML if needed.

Thank you in advance
-Zap

Webmaster
11-15-2005 @ 11:27 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

I see two options...

1) Scheduled task to run every 45 seconds (which sounds to me like this is in place now)

2) If you are on "CFMX 7+" you can use a new feature called "Event Gateways" that are listeners that can be executed at anytime... (some current example usages are Intant Messengers or SMS gateways... they sit and wait for something to come in.. basically listeners... so you might want to look into these for a solution)

Let me know if you have further questions!

Pablo Varando
Chief Software Architect
EasyCFM.COM, LLC.

904.483.1457\\ mobile
webmaster@easycfm.com\\email

zaphansen
11-15-2005 @ 11:47 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!