EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / New Users Area! / Greetings CF Peeps

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Greetings CF Peeps

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

pc_dude_75
08-22-2007 @ 12:51 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

First off I’d like to say, “Great site!”

Secondly, “Greetings to all!”

“Why am I here?”, you reply.

I work for a non-profit and, recently I've been asked to recreate a database (that I originally made in MS Access) for the Web.  After some quick research I've decided that I think ColdFusion makes the most sense [Boy I hope I'm right].

I have DreamWeaver and just got the developer edition of CF.  I figured that was a good starting point.  

I’ve got HTML knowledge, and a good understanding of Database design (MS Access as mentioned above).  Basically, I need to capture a bit of data via the web, and then send emails based on that data.  Should be simple right?

Anyway, I’d love to see any feedback/suggestions that anyone may have.

dlackey
08-22-2007 @ 1:03 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

pc_dude_75:

Welcome.  You will find a LOT of helpful people here who are more than happy to help.  

CF is the best but I'm biased.  Depending on the load placed on the DB, I might recommend using MS-SQL or MySQL over Access but I think Access is good for up to 10 concurrent users (if I recall correctly).

Is this an INTRAnet site or INTERnet site?
Are you going to have an Admin section?

Not sure what else I can tell you...  If this is a public site, there is a section here for CF Hosting Sites or I can recommend one (PM me for this).

Cheers,
Chip

pc_dude_75
08-23-2007 @ 10:21 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Thanks for the fast response Chip!

I've already worked through some great tutorials here at EasyCFM, (i.e. User Authentication/Contact Us) and it seems pretty robust without being to overbearing, so I think CF will certainly work well for me.

Database wise I think the application I need will have a total of maybe 20 or so users tops.

Here's the basic idea:
I work for a non-profit, and we do Case Management with at-risk-youth and previous-offenders in our community.  I developed an internal (MS Access) case management system that we use in house for tracking all of our clients.  One part of my application (Community Referrals) has captured the attention of some of our community service providers and they are intersted in expanding it to the web so that we can all use it together.

Community Referral System Basic overview:
For example, a client needs a GED so the case worker goes to the system and pulls up one of the local GED providers and puts in the clients name and phone number and clicks go.  The GED instructor gets an email that indicates a client is interested in joining the class.  The instructor contacts the client and sets up a start date, then goes back into the system and closes the referral with a success status, and the Case Manager recieves a confermation email.

I left out some other fluff but I'm sure you have a better idea of specifically what I'd like to do.

Considering that all the agencies are independent of each other an INTERnet would be the option for us in this scenario.  

An Admin section would be a must because someone(s) will need to be responsible to maintain the agency data.

We have a site already in place, but I've not contacted our host yet to see if they even support CF.

I'm also considering getting a new domain/host for the application anyway so I wouldn't mind checking out any recomendations you've got.

Thanks Again,
PC Dude

dlackey
08-23-2007 @ 11:02 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!