EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Coding Help! / Strip hrefs from block of text

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Strip hrefs from block of text -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

dante2010xxx
12-18-2005 @ 4:07 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to remove entire href tags from a block of text. I need to be able to search on a name and then if it's found as the href, remove the tag from around the text inside it.

For example, I have the following test:

This is a test.  This is a <a href="link.html">link</a>.

If I search for link.html and it's found (as it would be in the above) I want to strip out the href tag it's contained in. So I'd want the output to be:

This is a test.  This is a link.

I'm guessing I need to use a regular expression to match something like this? I just have no clue how to formulate something like that.

mquack
12-18-2005 @ 4:43 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

http://www.cflib.org/udf.cfm?ID=767

http://www.rachelqueensg.com

dante2010xxx
12-18-2005 @ 7:24 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

That function strips out all hrefs within a block of text tho, correct?  I want to be able to search on a keyword and only strip out those hrefs that use that keyword.

mquack
12-18-2005 @ 8:25 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Okay, I wrote a function for you so that you can supply a particular link to remove:

<cfscript>
     /**
      * Strips HTML links from the provided string
      * @param strIn          - String to strip links from (REQUIRED)
      * @param linkText     - text of the link to strip (OPTIONAL - if provided, will strip ONLY that particular link)
      * @return Returns the input string minus the stripped links
      * @author Matt Quackenbush (fiberdood@hotmail.com)
      * @version 1, December 18, 2005
      */
     function stripLinks(strIn) {
          variables.rtn = arguments.strIn;
          if (arrayLen(arguments) GT 1) {
               arguments.linkText = arguments[2];
          }
          if (NOT isDefined("arguments.linkText")) {
               variables.rtn = reReplaceNoCase(variables.rtn, "<[[:space:]]*a[[:space:]]+[^>]*>", "", "all");
               variables.rtn = reReplaceNoCase(variables.rtn, "<[[:space:]]*/a[[:space:]]*>", "", "all");
          } else {
               variables.blStart = reFindNoCase("<[[:space:]]*a[[:space:]]+[^>]*>(?=[[:space:]]*#arguments.linkText#[\.\?\! ]*)", variables.rtn);
               variables.blStop = reFindNoCase("<[[:space:]]*/a[[:space:]]*>", variables.rtn, variables.blStart+1);
               variables.blStop = reFindNoCase(">", variables.rtn, variables.blStop)+1;
               variables.bl = mid(variables.rtn, variables.blStart, variables.blStop-variables.blStart);
               variables.rtn = reReplaceNoCase(variables.rtn, variables.bl, arguments.linkText, "all");
          }
          return variables.rtn;
     }
</cfscript>

Enjoy Smile

dante2010xxx
12-18-2005 @ 9:21 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Wow dude.. thank you very much!  Didn't expect someone to write a custom function for me.

It's much appreciated tho.  I might have some questions as to how it works, as I want to understand how it actually strips the href tags out.  Smile

mquack
12-18-2005 @ 9:46 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

No problem.  Hopefully it'll do the trick for you.  To use it, simply feed in the string that you want link(s) stripped from.  Then, if you want to search for specific link text (i.e. the text between the opening and closing anchor tags '<a href="">LINK TEXT</a>'), feed that in as the 2nd parameter.

<cfscript>
           variables.str = "<p>This is a <a href=""#cgi.script_name#"">test link</a>.  And this is <a href=""#cgi.script_name#"">another one</a>.</p>";
     variables.str2 = stripLinks(variables.str);
     variables.str3 = stripLinks(variables.str, "test link");
</cfscript>

The function can be modified to look for a particular URL instead of the link text, if need be.

This message was edited by mquack on 12-18-05 @ 10:38 PM

dante2010xxx
12-19-2005 @ 10:04 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hi,

I've been trying to use the function you wrote, but am having some problems.  Instead of searching for the link text inside the <a href=""></a> tags, I need to search on the text that's contained within the href="" (between the quotes.

How would I modify the function to do that?  I'm assuming it has something to do with this line?

variables.blStart = reFindNoCase("<[[:space:]]*a[[:space:]]+[^>]*>(?=[[:space:]]*#arguments.linkText#[\.\?\! ]*)", variables.rtn);

mquack
12-19-2005 @ 1:35 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!