EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Coding Help! / "Combining" SQL subqueries?

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: "Combining" SQL subqueries?

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

edge
09-05-2005 @ 4:09 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Wasn't sure if this belonged in the database forum or not, feel free to move it (my apologies if so)...

I have our User table which breaks the user name into two db fields, firstname and lastname.

Problem is, when I enter in the "last modified by" or "entered by" field data into the tables for various sections, I go off of the userid.

Now, when I do my "get" query, I was curious if there was a way to do this (within in the cfquery itself) or not.

I'm down to:

<cfquery ...>
    SELECT field1,field2,field3,
    (select firstname from usertable where userid = enteredbyid) as enteredByFirst,
    (select lastname from usertable where userid = enteredbyid) as enteredByLast,
    (select firstname from usertable where userid = lastmodifiedbyid) as lastModifiedByFirst,
    (select lastname from usertable where userid = lastmodifiedbyid) as lastModifiedByLast
    WHERE ...

</cfquery>

Just seems that 4 separate subqueries is a waste when I just want to get the firstname + lastname of the enteredby id and the firstname + lastname of the lastmodifiedby id...

It doesn't seem to affect the page load as much (been counting tick counts), but it does sure seem redundant and I wasn't sure if you could combine query data on a CF page like you could in a stored proc..

This message was edited by edge on 9-5-05 @ 4:10 PM

nmiller
09-09-2005 @ 4:56 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!