EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Coding Help! / "State" and SQL server reserved words

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: "State" and SQL server reserved words -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

mcsolas
01-06-2005 @ 5:49 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Everything in my database is good to go into the SQL conversion except for this 1 field. Now, I mention this word "state" over and over on every page in my site as it is also in my database in nearly all tables.

I see that on some lists that its reserved, some its for the future and some it says dont use. I am using SQL 2000 and we will likely move to sql 2005 eventually.

I am of course, recording state names like "FL", "NJ" .. etc. If I have to change it, what is a common name for that field when people need to keep state in the database.

falconseye
01-07-2005 @ 9:31 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

you using 'state' in one your tables will not cause a problem. i use sql server 2000 as well, and i have several tables with state fields. as long as you keep the integrity in terms of how you store the 'state name' you should be fine. for instance, one place you say CA somewhere else you say California. When you try to update any table, then you will need to say
UPDATE...
WHERE State = 'CA' OR State = 'California'

hope it helps

falconseye
01-07-2005 @ 9:35 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

just caught something and thought i should let you know.
as for now, state is not a reserved keyword according to the SQL-92 standard. In addition it's not among ODBC Reserved Keywords. however it does say:

Future Keywords
The following keywords could be reserved in future releases of SQL Server as new features are implemented. Consider avoiding the use of these words as identifiers. and STATE is one of them.
Oncee again 'could be ...'
If you are so keen about it,  you may consider using something like
State_Name

falconseye
01-07-2005 @ 9:36 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

don't i like posting ?
check out this link
http://www.yukonxml.com/Reference/default.aspx?t=Keywords

mcsolas
01-07-2005 @ 10:32 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

You like posting.. maybe you should check out the edit button. Smile  Thanks for that last link, I hadn't had luck finding the sql 2005 list, just numerous other lists kept coming up and each one was a little different. Since 2005 is my 'future' specs here, thats the answer I needed.

State isn't on 2005's list! So many different lists and I wasn't sure which standard I wanted to comply to.

This message was edited by mcsolas on 1-7-05 @ 10:33 AM

VelvettFogg
01-07-2005 @ 10:41 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!