EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Coding Help! / Restrict Multiple Logins

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Restrict Multiple Logins

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

][ce
07-12-2004 @ 11:05 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hey everybody!

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but I'm looking for some guidance...

I currently have a portal, with 500 employees logging in.  My dilemma is restricing said users to logging in only once.

I was thinking of putting a boolean field, that simply returns if they are logged in or not... but then I am relying on them clicking on "logout" to run the update query to set it back to false.

I have the routine mentioned in one of these tutorials to clear the session when the browser is closed, but I can't think of any way to invoke the update query at that time...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave

RafaelQ
07-12-2004 @ 11:09 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Why not just remove access to the login page once user is logged in? Seems like a simpler solution.

][ce
07-13-2004 @ 8:33 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I'm not sure I follow your logic... or maybe I wasn't clear in my initial request.

With 500 computers in our facility, in essence, somebody could log in as themselves on every PC.  What I am trying to restrict, is not multiple logins on the same computer, but on various computers.

This has a two-fold benefit, if they are "floating" from desk to desk, and they forget to logout from their initial desk, they will be reminded that they are already logged in.  It also acts as a security measure, that somebody doesn't try, or at the very least, is unable, to log on under somebody else's ID.

Does that make sense?

nmiller
07-13-2004 @ 11:40 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

use this tutorial:

http://tutorial12.easycfm.com/

This will allow you to know who is logged in at any time and dissallow them from logging in again (some modification may be necessary).

Nathan Miller
NM Consulting

][ce
07-13-2004 @ 3:59 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Perfect!
This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks a ton!

I totally looked through the tutorials... but I must have not seen this one.
I hate being one of those guys who don't look under their nose for the answer.

Sorry!
Dave

][ce
07-13-2004 @ 9:30 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!