EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Coding Help! / :noob question: is there a "isnotdefined()" func?

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: :noob question: is there a "isnotdefined()" func?

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

brds
06-25-2007 @ 11:05 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I need to throw a catch statement if a variable is not defined.  Is there a isnotdefined() function or would i have to do something like:

<cfif isdefined("varName")>
    <cfelse>
        Code Here
</cfif>

JJfutbol
06-25-2007 @ 11:11 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

In this case there is no function like that. You can always create your own function called isNotDefined if you like though but not worth the trouble. To simply reverse the result of isDefined you put a NOT before it. For example, to do what you want you would do this:

<cfif NOT isDefined('myVar')>
     <cfthrow message="myVar is not defined">
</cfif>

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF/XHTML/CSS code available at my site www.javier-julio.com. Currently, I'm planning a new site design and already am working on several new CF projects for the community. They will be free and open source as always. The main projects are an Object Factory and a complete rebuild of the Data Validator.

brds
06-25-2007 @ 11:54 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I'm getting an error with that code...

Error:
quote:

Element ROWS is undefined in SESSION

My code is this:

<cfif NOT isdefined(session.rows)>
     <cfset session.rows = #countrows#>
</cfif>

It's kinda weird because the error is stating what i'm asking... i'm asking if there variable is declared, and it's throwing an error b/c it's not... seems kind of redundant.  Any thoughts?

brds
06-25-2007 @ 12:03 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

nevermind... i'm a moron.  I got it.

JJfutbol
06-25-2007 @ 12:04 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

In this case you are actually passing the variable value but the error is correct. The variable doesn't exist. What you need to do is pass a string to the isDefined function. So instead of:

<cfif NOT isDefined(session.rows)>

It should be:

<cfif NOT isDefined("session.rows")>

Does the difference make sense? CF parses the cfif and looks for a value in a key called rows in the session scope but doesn't find it hence the error. But what you want to do is test if the variable exists so you can't just assume it does (as in the first cfif). You need to pass it as a string so the function itself will determine if it does or does not exist and return the boolean result.

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF/XHTML/CSS code available at my site www.javier-julio.com. Currently, I'm planning a new site design and already am working on several new CF projects for the community. They will be free and open source as always. The main projects are an Object Factory and a complete rebuild of the Data Validator.

JJfutbol
06-25-2007 @ 12:05 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!