EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Coding Help! / Dynamic text based on URL

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dynamic text based on URL

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

][ce
07-05-2003 @ 9:41 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hello everybody!

I'm running into a small road block, and any help would be greatly appreciated!  Here is my dilemma:

I have a web site which includes approximately 150 cfm pages.  Each page has a "generic" navigation menu found on the left hand side.  Here's the thing; currently, the menu is static, whereas the code is actually written in every page, and not called from one generic file using CFINCLUDE.

I have done this because I changed the CLASS type from "LeftMenu" to "LeftMenuDisabled" if the user is viewing that particular page, which disables the link and changes the color, in order to flag it as being the current page.

As you can imagine, this leads into quite a large task if an addition/removal of a link needs to be made.

So here's what I'm thinking; can the class be dependant on the current location of the user?  So, I would call the menu from one generic page, which would recognize the location and change the class type accordingly.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

apletfx
07-05-2003 @ 10:29 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

You might try something like this:

<cfif cgi.script_name IS "my_page.cfm">
<!--- if page currently on is true then deactivate link --->
<a href="linkname.cfm" class="LeftMenuDisabled">Link Name</a>
<cfelse>
<a href="linkname.cfm" class="LeftMenu">Link Name</a>
</cfif>

havent tested this, but I think it may get you going in the right direction.

Mark Aplet

=============================
Never settle with words what you can
Accomplish with a flame-thrower.
    - Bruce Feirstein
=============================

Webmaster
07-05-2003 @ 11:14 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

Actually, what Applet did was good, but has a few issues on it Smile

Try this instead:

<!--- if page currently on is true then deactivate link --->
   <a href="linkname.cfm" class="<cfif cgi.script_name IS "/my_page.cfm">LeftMenuDisabled<cfelse>LeftMenu</cfif>">Link Name</a>

I changed two things....

1) I combined the link and only made the class the condition (This way your page is smaller and loads faster.
2) cgi.script_name will return the path with the starting "/" so hat needs to be added to the check..

But that is the basic idea in mind... give it a shot... it should do what you need Smile

Thanks,
Pablo Varando

=====================================================

][ce
07-06-2003 @ 9:14 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

This is great!  It will definately help me out!Just one more question though... Smile

The code given is great when the condition is one particular page, although (and I didn't specify this in my earlier post, my bad...) the menu items on the left hand side are main groups.  Thus, each link may have 12-15 pages that would make it "LeftMenuDisabled".

Is there a way to have it change on a relative path directory, instead of one particular page?

Thanks again for your help!
Dave

apletfx
07-06-2003 @ 1:11 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!