EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Coding Help! / Specific Recordcount

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Specific Recordcount -- page: 1 2 3

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

ArVark
09-12-2006 @ 8:22 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Is it possible to output specfic recordcounts?

Like <CFOUTPUT>queryname.record4.columnname</CF...

I'm trying to output 5 links, but all around a page and I'm drawing a blank. So far all I can come up with is far too many CFIF statements checking the recordcount and outputting accordingly.

JJfutbol
09-12-2006 @ 9:10 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I don't think I follow what you are trying to do mate? Why do you need a more specific recordCount? Or rather it won't even exist because if you are in a record that is part of the count but there are no records within a record so no count will be there. Unless, are you looping through the columns as well and did you want to do a count of that??

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF applications available at my site, such as the popular CFC Validator www.javier-julio.com My new site design is up!! Let me know what you all think! Working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict.

ArVark
09-12-2006 @ 9:32 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I want to output a query of 5 links. There are about 50 links, but I only want 5. I will either pull them by number of hits or randomly pull them out.

When I output them, I don't want them to be in the standard output table or list. I want them scattered all around the page. There will be two other queries doing the same thing with links from different categories.

There may be another way to do this, but I was thinking about outputting each of the five links based on it's unique location in the query. I can do record count, but I can't figure out how to pull out a specific record from the query. Not a specific record from the DB, I would use the ID in that case, but does the query have any ID or key unique to itself. I know it has an attribute of queryname.recordcount, but can I access each one?

megan
09-12-2006 @ 9:42 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

It's kind of hard to know what you are after but just guessing you might do something like this

<!--- do your query --->
query here
<!--- loop through your query --->
<cfloop query="myquery">
<cfset myVar#currentrow# = "#mycolumn#>
</cfloop>

Then supposing you know how many records you have being output

<cfoutput>#myvar1#</cfoutput> goes here

<cfoutput>#myvar3#</cfoutput> goes there

just one idea - I'm sure other people will have other ideas for example you could use an array

<cfset arrmyFields = arrayNew(1)>
<cfloop query="myquery">
<cfset arrmyFields[#currentrow#] = "#myFieldContent#">
</cfloop>

and then <cfoutput>#arrmyFields[1]#</cfoutput>

if these have to be output on every page you might want to set up everything in the application.cfm as a request variable

hth ~megan

We have art so that we shall not die of reality ~ Nietzsche

megan
09-12-2006 @ 9:44 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Hi You must have posted while I was typing Smile  - I think what you are looking for is #currentrow# - hope that helps, megan

We have art so that we shall not die of reality ~ Nietzsche

JJfutbol
09-12-2006 @ 9:45 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

You are overcomplicating what a query and queryName.recordCount do I think. If you just want to display the first 5 records of a 50 record query you have several options. When looping you could simply test that if the queryName.currentRow is greater than 5 to 'break' out of the loop.

Another option you have is to modify the cfquery tag by using the maxrows attribute and set it to 5 so that you only ever get 5 records. There are also ways to get a random set of records but depends on the database you are using as it varies.

----------------------------------------------------
Some free CF applications available at my site, such as the popular CFC Validator www.javier-julio.com My new site design is up!! Let me know what you all think! Working on a fully accessible Forum, which validates as full CSS and XHTML 1.0 Strict.

JJfutbol
09-12-2006 @ 9:49 AM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!