EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / Tutorial Requests! / smelting

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: smelting -- page: 1 2

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

hollie6001
01-04-2007 @ 3:13 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

How 'bout a tutorial on implementing Paypals Direct Payment API.  We have a shopping cart, and I understand their instructions on how to send the contents of the cart to Paypal where they can pay.  But some customers don't like Paypal, so we bought Website Payments Pro, so they can "pay with a credit card and never leave our site".  I CANNOT figure out where to begin.  I know Coldfusion, but not xml or how to use/implement APIs or web services or whatever all that other stuff is.  Somebody help me. Pleeeze.

SirRawlins
01-04-2007 @ 3:24 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

I've been looking into this myself recently.

Paypal as I understand it have an 'integration team' that are intended to help you through this stuff, supply you with code examples and technical support etc.

It might be worth speaking to them to get the ball rolling.

Hope that helps,

Rob

hollie6001
01-04-2007 @ 3:38 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

They have a list of people that you can "hire" to help you.  I'm smart, and if I know where to begin, I will be able to do this.  Here's the "instructions" to what I want to do.

https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_direct-payment.html

It says to implement this API call, you must understand how to form the request and read the response.  Well, I don't.  Where do I begin to learn this stuff?

SirRawlins
01-04-2007 @ 3:58 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Ok, well I'm not completely sure on this, but i'll try and start the ball rolling for you with integrating with the API.

Now, basicly the API is a public facing programmable interface that you can send requests too, the paypal server then processes it for you and provides you with a response from the request.

Now lucky for you, the web services provided by PayPal use the SOAP method, which is native to coldfusion, which means you wont need to write SOAP XML yourself, you should just be able to use the <cfinvoke> tag with the correct parameters to make your request, and coldfusion will write the XML for you.

Here is the API referance from PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_api-reference.html

Download the documentation pack and give it a read through, and it should help you start getting your head around it all.

Next, checkout the livedocs for <cfinvoke> and it'll help explain how you use it to post a response to the API from PayPal.

Once you've posted to the webservice, it'll responed to the return variable of your <cfinvoke> tag, and again, coldfusion will read all your lovely XML for you can probably place it into a Stuct which will be easy for you to check for process confirmation and things.

Hope that helps, keep in mind I have not done this before, i'm just making some assumptions from what i've seen.

Rob

hollie6001
01-04-2007 @ 5:04 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Wow, I really do appreciate the help that your trying to give me.  I have read all that already.  I've worked my way through the steps that start at

https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_pro_home.html

That API reference wasn't in English, was it?  (jk, see what I mean?)

Actually I tried step 3, installing the PayPal SDK, but I didn't get what to do with that.

I do know a lot of coldfusion (2 years), but that's all I know  (Well, html and javascript). I don't know soap, cfinvoke, http request, sending a request, post to a web service...  Basically I don't understand anything that you said in your last response.  

Should I just throw in the towel?  Can you help me?

daddyFL
01-04-2007 @ 11:01 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!